Having a good backyard can be a huge factor when selling your home, because it can influence what your buyer is thinking about the property. So if your yard is messy and overgrown, it will create a bad first impression to the buyers and this can discourage them. In our latest blog, we have put together some ideas to make your yard a selling point, helping you to get the best return on your home.
They don’t call it the great outdoors for anything. A well-landscaped and maintained yard can add 15% to the value of your home. If a person REALLY loves it, your yard can add another 12% in perceived value to certain buyers! That’s a lot of value! Here are some suggestions on how to improve your yard to help sell your home.
When it comes to selling your College Station home, curb appeal is very essential. The fact of the matter is, at times, people DO judge a book by its cover. People can be dissuaded from checking your home if you have an overgrown front yard, worn paint, and overall messiness.
- Add paint touch-ups as needed
- Add new fixtures, locks, and doormat
- Refresh mailbox with some paint and flowers planted around the base
- Trim back bushes and trees, and make sure all the weeds are pulled from the flower beds.
Make Them Feel At Home
A backyard can be a huge opportunity for entertaining, and a place for family and friends to gather. Let your potential buyers envision themselves relaxing in the space by setting up a few key areas.
- Make sure there are multiple seating areas.
- Add some leisure items such as a hammock or fire pit
- A nice backyard can almost serve as an additional room. Make the grilling area into an outdoor kitchen.
Make sure you utilize your backyard during showings and open houses. Create a relaxing, homey atmosphere for your visitors and you can even grill some burgers.
Having a clean, neat yard speaks well about the house, and shows that you care for the other aspects of your home. If you take your time to invest and beautify your yard, then it is more likely that you have done the same throughout the rest of the house. It shows that you take pride in your home if you have a clean yard. Potential buyers will see this and respect it.
- Anything that needs power wash such as the sidewalk, porch, drive way must be power washed. A good power washing can have the same effect as a fresh coat of paint!
- Pull the weeds, edge the lawn and trim back bushes and trees.
- Get rid of ANY clutter laying around. Even if you use it but you know it will distract your visitors, store it elsewhere.
- Wash the windows, inside and out
- Touch up worn out or chipped paint
- Fix anything in need of repair… steps, mailbox, etc.
Although your aim is to have a clean and beautiful yard, you don’t want to turn the maintenance into a full time job. Simple and clean is the best way to go.
- Be conscious of water usage, especially in dryer areas
- Don’t plant high maintenance vegetation
- Consider a rock garden, sand or gravel in one area of the yard
Keep your potential buyers in mind if you choose to landscape. Your yard can make or break the sale of your home! Keep this in mind when you are ready to sell your College Station house!
If you are thinking about selling your College Station home, we can help you get ready with some innovative and inspiring ideas!
Fill out this form to tell us more about the property you want to sell, or give our office a call now! (979) 431-1663