Selling your house is something you’ll have to do only a few times in your life. Unless you know a local College Station real estate agent who will sell your house for free or for a hugely discounted commission, it can be a difficult and expensive process for you.
You may have landed on this page about “How to sell your house by yourself in College Station, TX” for a few reasons:
- You have little to no equity in your house and you can’t afford to pay a real estate agent’s commission
- You have equity but want to try to save money by selling the house yourself before resorting to hiring an agent
- You’re in foreclosure (or heading that way) and need to sell fast without incurring thousands in agent commissions
- You can’t wait the months and months it sometimes takes to sell a house in the College Station area in this market so you want to try to sell it more quickly
Regardless of your reason, there are ways to sell your house on your own here in the local College Station real estate market.
The housing sector has been going through huge recoveries since 2013. Selling your house at this time will definitely be profitable if you do it right. In most cases, it’s about using smart marketing strategies and being realistic about your expectations with the sale.
This article will provide some guidelines to help you sell your College Station area house yourself.
How To Sell Your House By Yourself In College Station, TX – Let’s Dive In
Know The College Station Real Estate Market Well
The first and most important step is doing market research on your neighborhood in the College Station area. This step involves visiting various home marketing sites (Zillow, Eppraisal, the Chase home value estimator, etc), calling a real estate agent or two to see what your home is worth, or reading about the various market pricing techniques. Proper homework on these issues will allow you to come up with a right price for your house and also helps you avoid making certain selling mistakes.
If you don’t want the hassle of trying to come up with a home value yourself, give us a call at (979) 431-1663 and we’ll give you an honest valuation of what your house is worth on the retail market (if you’re going to wait the 3-6+ months to find the perfect retail buyer).
If you want to sell your house quickly, we can make you a fair, all-cash offer (we can close in as little as 7 days if desired).
Assess the market
This step is similar to conducting market research, only that in this case, you are bound to your neighborhood and similar houses. Are there many houses for sale in your neighborhood? If so, what is the average that they are listing for? Are there many foreclosures in your neighborhood? That may drag your house price down.
Assess the house
As a seller, your house should be in top condition in order to sell at a good price. Identify certain unique characteristics about it, and emphasize them during the marketing. For example, in College Station, a house with driveway parking may be more attractive to buyers than one with garage parking.
Also, does your house require repairs? Does it need to be repainted inside or out? How is the condition of the roof? Is the landscaping in good shape? Is the house outdated at all? All of these things can make the house more or less attractive depending on the buyer, which affects the price they’re willing to pay.
After all of this, come up with a fair asking price for your College Station home. One that isn’t so high that it’ll take you 12 months to sell the house, but is attractive enough to get a frenzy of buyers who are ready to buy it quickly.
Use Photos or Videos
College Station buyers are obsessed with media. Taking walk-through videos of the house and using the videos to advertise will enable you to reach a wider market. In fact, these videos are considered more transparent than taking photos. However, this should not stop you from using the latter option since it is more affordable compared to the video.
So take some great pictures. Take a picture of every room in the house that show it off. Take a picture of the house from the outside from a few different angles. People want to see the house before they ever show up to see it. Having great pictures of your house online could mean the difference between quickly getting the right buyer and waiting months on end to sell.
Get Your House “Listed” On The Local College Station MLS And Market It
These days, you can find real estate brokers who will charge you little or no fees to put your house on the local College Station MLS. This gets your house in front of real estate agents quickly (so be prepared to pay those “buyers” agents a 2-3% buyers broker fee if you plan to have their support in helping you find a buyer).
Place ads in the local newspaper, signs on the roads, and hold an open house.
All Of This Sound Like A Lot Of Work To Sell Your College Station House Fast Yourself?
It can be.
In the end, many College Station house sellers think they’re saving money and time by marketing the house themselves, when in the end, it costs them more to go that route.
Here are some things you need to consider when you sell your own house:
- If you’re not a good marketer or aren’t ready to spend a lot of time to market your house right, selling it yourself may not be your best bet
- If you don’t do a good job preparing the house and the marketing materials… and working with buyers to really build the value of your house in their minds… you may actually sell the house for 3-8% less than you may get for the same house an experienced person marketed the house for you
- Too many sellers never think about holding costs or opportunity costs… every month that your house doesn’t sell means another mortgage payment, tax payment, insurance, utilities, etc. If your mortgage payment is $1,500/mo… and $1,300 of that is interest… if it takes you 7 months to sell your house… that cost you an extra $9,100 (not to mention taxes and insurance you paid during that time). So, if you were able to sell that house more quickly… would it make sense for you to provide a buyer a discounted price today so you can close quickly and move on? Something to think about.
If you’d rather not put up the hassle of trying to sell your College Station house yourself… and would rather just sell it quickly for a fair price without paying any commissions or fees…
… here at Texas Direct Home Buyers we actually buy local College Station, TX houses.
We’d love to make you a fair, NO OBLIGATION and NO HASSLE cash offer on your house.
We can close quickly (in as little as 7 days if you wanted to)… which would save you thousands of dollars vs. trying to sell the house yourself and waiting for months.
Also, when we buy local College Station houses we do all repairs that are needed (we pay for it ourselves) so you don’t have to worry about that.
If you want to see what we can pay for your house, give us a call today at (979) 431-1663 or just fill out the quick simple form through the link below.
Selling Your College Station House Yourself? –
Get A Cash Offer From Us First Before You Waste
Time, Money, And Energy Selling It Yourself >>